Tenants’ Rights that every Landlord should be aware of
Being one of the few states which invite people from all around the country, California has understandably adopted a rigid outlook on renting. Tenants’ rights in Orange County CA, for instance, constitute a matter that attracts a lot of curiosity and shockingly, a large number of court cases. Property owners and tenants can have their differences. When they fail to work things out, they end up battling in court. It is important for every tenant to know their right because the tenant-landlord dynamic is volatile and it regularly brings up queries about rights and duties.
An Overview of Tenants’ Rights in Orange County CA
Tenants have elementary legal rights that always exist, regardless of what the rental contract or agreement states. Here are some of the basic tenants’ rights that landlords in Orange County CA should also be aware of-
- Restrictions on the amount of the security deposit that the property owner can ask the tenant to pay – According to basic housing rights for tenants in California, a property owner has no right to demand astronomical fees in the name of security. The amount should be mathematically justifiable and a one-time payment.
- Restrictions on the property owner’s right to go into the rental unit – California law regarding tenants’ legal rights dictates that a property-owner can go into a rental unit only when
- There is an emergency
- In case the tenant has abandoned the rental unit
- To conduct repairs or restorations
- The tenant has the right to a refund of the security deposit which was discussed in the landlord-tenant lease agreement. A written book-keeping account of how it was utilized after the tenant moved-in should also be presented.
- The right to take legal action against the property owner for violations such as discriminatory rental applicant screening processes or any other law mentioned in the rental agreement.
- The tenant also preserves the right to overhaul serious shortcomings in the rental unit and to subtract certain reparation charges from the rent, after discussing the matter with the concerned leasing managers.
- The right to refuse to pay rent under improper conditions such as if the property owner does not fix defects in the rental unit that disrupt the implied guarantee of habitability.
- Fortification against discriminatory and retaliatory tenant eviction.
In case a landlord is not familiar with all the tenants’ rights in Orange County CA, it can lead to –
- Lawsuits – There are several provisions in the laws which allow the tenant to file a lawsuit against the property owner. Compliance to each and every detail is crucial.
- Fines and additional charges in case the landlord fails to send the listed statement, copies of statements or receipts, etc.
- Risk of losing credibility as a property owner, and hence good tenants in the future. Not understanding tenants’ rights in Orange County CA is a red dot every landlord should look to avoid.
How Property Management Services Can Help
Certainly, there is a lot of effort that needs to be delved into this process. In order to avoid falling into legal hassles, a landlord should consult a professional property management services company in Orange County CA which can help in –
- Negotiating fluid and profitable rental contracts.
- Regularly collecting rent.
- Keeping a strict track on tenant deposits and handling the same with efficiency.
- Fulfilling federal, state and local regulations.
- Responding to tenant requirements and finding a quick solution, averting the possibility of the matter being escalated to a claims court.
Most importantly, these professionals uphold tenants’ rights in Orange County CA whilst keeping a tight grip on the fine print of the contractual agreement so that filing grievances is a scenario that can be constantly avoided. Thus, both parties are satisfied.
Goodman Management Team – Raising Standards
Ever since its inception, Goodman Management Team has constantly performed as an important player in the property management trade. The team’s respect for upholding tenants’ rights in Orange County CA can only be outdone by its will to help the clients. Well-known for its long-lasting relations with all clients, the company nurtures the aim to ceaselessly help the landlords flourish. Delivering a good ROI has become a must for the team as it looks forward towards a lively future. Operative chiefly in Orange CA, Yorba Linda CA, Anaheim CA, and throughout Orange County CA, Goodman Management Team has been continuously setting the benchmark for property management companies in California.